Division Controller - Brand and Hotel Operations
Best Western Hotels & Resorts is a leading, global hospitality network comprised of three hotel companies, including WorldHotels® Collection, Best Western® Hotels & Resorts and SureStay Hotel Group®.
Our Finance Division is seeking an experienced Division Controller to lead the control functions for multiple hotel operations, franchise and brand member services departments (OP/MS).
The Division Controller will analyze financial results and provide management with an understanding of the department’s financial performance and the financial effect of business plans and strategies. This position reports directly to the Managing Director, Corporate Controller.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Acting as a strategic business partner and advisor for managers in OP/MS departments. Maintaining a thorough understanding of these department and business requirements. Initiating and responding to management requests for specific financial and general business evaluations of on-going and new programs.
- Completing monthly corporate financial closing process for all OP/MS departments. Preparing monthly journal entries, account reconciliations and research on financial questions, with analysis of budget/forecast-to-actual fluctuations to explain variances and ensure accuracy of financial results.
- Preparing comprehensive month end financial decks and annual budgets for hotel operations and franchise division.
- Coordinating financial reporting and processes with independent property management accountants and provides robust variance analysis.
- Managing quarterly forecasting and annual budgeting and OP/MS plan process by providing technical support and leadership. Identifying and interpreting trends by analyzing data and bringing issues and resolutions to management attention. Adhering to financial report deadlines.
- Communicating regularly with the OP/MS team to enhance financial effectiveness, provide financial expertise and encourage compliance with company financial procedures and requirements.
- Facilitating financial decision making for assigned departments by promoting the effective use of data and financial analysis to determine the cost/value of services, initiatives and investments. Implements process improvements in areas of responsibility.
- Representing OP/MS on financial matters by assisting in preparing presentation of findings and specific recommendations to senior management, the Board of Directors or member committees as required.
- Maintaining quality service by establishing and following Company standards. Protecting OP/MSs by keeping financial information confidential.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously with accuracy.
- Ad hoc reporting/projects as needed.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 8 years of experience as a Controller in Hospitality Finance/Accounting, including management level assignments.
Licenses and/or Certifications:
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) highly recommended.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Workday software experience a plus
- Self-driven with the ability to create critical paths that provide solutions to ongoing hotel challenges.
- Ability to support and communicate effectively with multiple business partners, including operational and finance teams.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills, including hands on analytical, journal entry preparation, general ledger reconciliation and financial statement preparation.
- Experience with annual and quarterly budgets and forecasts, and monthly reporting for multiple departments, including significant supporting analysis.
- Ability to resolve divergent interests and make quick, effective decisions. Manage multiple projects and programs simultaneously.
- Ability to develop in-depth understanding of contracts and accounting topics relating to OP/MS departments.
- Continuous improvement mindset, allowing for open and direct communication with internal staff and senior leadership.
- Individual who demonstrates desire for continuous improvement: resolves broadly defined problems by identifying root cause and provides creative solutions.
- Ability to produce results with minimal supervision in a fast paced environment.
- Use initiative and independent judgement within general policy guidelines.
Benefits Summary for Full Time Employees (work 30 + hours per week)
Available Day One:
* Vacation/Sick/Floating Holidays - accruals start
* 401K - company match and direct contribution
* Employee discounts/Hotel discounts
* Financial and health wellness programs
Equal Employment Opportunity
Best Western maintains a policy of equal employment opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard race (including hair textures and hair styles associated with race), color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, age, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, genetic information, uniformed service or veteran status, marital status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, provincial, or local laws. Best Western’s equal employment opportunity policy applies to all aspects of employment with Best Western, including but not limited to, hiring, promotion, transfer, benefits, discipline and termination.