IT Application Architect - Java/AWS (Remote)
Best Western Hotels & Resorts is a leading, global hospitality network comprised of three hotel companies, including WorldHotels® Collection, Best Western® Hotels & Resorts and SureStay Hotel Group®.
The Best Western Hotel Group Distribution Team provides business critical software and services enabling seamless rate, availability, and booking support to third party applications and services using both push and pull models as well as the delivery of all booked reservations, cancellations, and modifications from all booking channels to a hotel’s property management system. This is a mission critical, high transaction volume environment that is growing, fast paced, and ever changing, processing in excess of 100M transactions daily. We work with a variety of technologies from legacy to the latest AWS cloud services.
The Architect position will be responsible for guiding the Distribution Team to develop cost effective information technology solutions for our business partners by analyzing, designing, programming, monitoring, and/or installing systems, software and/or hardware solutions. Increases system efficiency and reliability by handling extremely complex tasks and/or activities encompassing multi-discipline and/or diverse technologies, in application development. Delivers reliable high performance applications and technical services. Provides expertise and recommends design and architecture of AWS cloud native services. Recommends and gives input on replacing legacy technologies and architecture with Cloud based services. Acts as a mentor to junior development team staff.
Performs full life cycle development including, requirements gathering, analysis, design, development, documentation, implementation, testing and debugging.
Researches, designs and develops new product software interfaces by applying expertise in software engineering and design theories. Designs, architects, installs, configures and maintains system hardware and software infrastructure components.
Analyzes, recommends, and implements improvements to existing Distribution Services to reduce downtime and improve maintainability.
Working with DevOps team, recommend, design and implement improvements to Continuous Integration, Continuous Development pipelines (CI/CD) for Distribution products.
Delivers system enhancements by planning and recommending innovative technologies to solve business problems. Works closely with management and product owners to determine long-term technical needs and direction. Develops and implements cost effective approaches and/or automation solutions that lower operating costs.
Develops and implements proactive monitoring of critical business services to ensure availability. Integrates monitoring principles into the IT systems development life cycle work.
Ensures initiatives are completed according to defined success criteria by leading teams or providing technical guidance in the design, development and implementation of large-scale system architecture projects.
Promotes technical mastery by serving as a resource for resolving unique or complex problems. Confers with and advises team members on technical problems, priorities and methods.
Interfaces with vendors to resolve issues.
Maintains technical relevance by reviewing trade publications, researching technical documentation and pursuing training relevant to Company operating environments. Maintains working understanding of client business functions.
Protects the Company by handling business sensitive information with appropriate confidentiality. Familiar with PCI DSS requirements.
Minimum 8 years related programming/systems analysis experience.
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Requires fully competent knowledge of hardware engineering and software design theories.
May require any combination or all of the following skills.
- Java, Python, C/C++
- SQL, Oracle/PostgreSQL databases
- Experience with the architecting and designing of AWS Cloud technologies (AWS Certification would be a plus)
- Advanced knowledge of AWS Serverless technologies, ec2 and RDS
- Advanced knowledge of SOAP/HTTP, XML/XHTML/AJAX, JAX-WS and JAX-RS/REST Web services
- J2EE JAXB, MDBs/Servlets, JMS, JSON
- Advanced knowledge of TCP/IP, VPN, Firewalls, Managed Internet circuits, Unix/Linux platforms
- Experience using SVN, Crucible and Jenkins code management, review and deployment processes and tools
- Experience writing Terraform and CHEF scripts.
- Experience developing high performance applications using JDBC connectivity to Oracle PL/SQL and PostgreSQL databases. Familiarity with pgAdmin helpful.
- Advanced knowledge of JBoss, Payara Full and Payara Micro web servers
- Strong object-oriented analysis and design (OOA/D) skills
- Experience with UML, Use Case Driven Software engineering, and Design Patterns
- Experience with Eclipse IDE and Visual Studio Code
- Experience using software best practices like test driven development (TDD) and continuous integration/continuous deployment (CI/CD).
- Experience using tracking applications like Rally, Jira, and Cherwell
Proficient in use of Microsoft Office Suite.
Demonstrated ability to manage software development projects through completion.
Effective written, oral and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with other IT teams, IT Staff, business users, and clients.
Works within defined change management processes and protocols to deliver updates and enhancements.
Benefits Summary for Full Time Employees (work 30 + hours per week)
Available Day One:
* Vacation/Sick/Floating Holidays - accruals start
* 401K - company match and direct contribution
* Employee discounts/Hotel discounts
* Financial and health wellness programs
Equal Employment Opportunity
Best Western maintains a policy of equal employment opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard race (including hair textures and hair styles associated with race), color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, age, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, genetic information, uniformed service or veteran status, marital status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, provincial, or local laws. Best Western’s equal employment opportunity policy applies to all aspects of employment with Best Western, including but not limited to, hiring, promotion, transfer, benefits, discipline and termination.