IT Engineer/C++ Developer
Today’s Best Western has been on a journey of incredible transformation, elevating our brand image, improving the guest experience and enhancing our organizational culture. Today, this culture of modernization and innovation is embraced by our more than 1,000 corporate employees, many of whom have stayed with Best Western for 10, 20, even 30+ years. We are proud to have created a work atmosphere that provides an exciting, fun and rewarding place to work every day.
C++ Developer - Maintains and helps develop cost effective information technology solutions by analyzing, configuring, programming, monitoring, and/or installing software solutions. Increases system efficiency and reliability by handling moderately complex tasks and/or activities in application maintenance and development. Helps team deliver reliable, high performance applications and technical services.
Duties included as follows.
- Enhances and maintains software applications by performing moderately complex programming duties. Codes, configures, debugs, tests, documents and implements software programs.
- Participates in ongoing maintenance and reliability enhancement of critical high transaction volume applications.
- Enhances performance by analyzing, developing, recommending and implementing cost effective system enhancements.
- Meets the business scope and objectives of the enterprise by developing and implementing proactive monitoring of critical business services to ensure availability.
Meets business needs by translating user requirements into solutions and by monitoring industry trends. Researches, produces and implements standards documents. Outlines and implements system configuration, tuning and upgrades.
Contributes to team effort by participating in IT projects and coordinating with other IT teams. Develops, maintains and communicates troubleshooting and recovery procedures and provides support as needed.
Maintains technical currency by reviewing trade publications, researching technical documentation and pursuing training relevant to Company operating environments. Maintains fundamental understanding of client business functions.
May interface with vendors and internal business units to resolve issues.
Protects the Company by handling business sensitive information with appropriate confidentiality.
- Minimum 2 to 3 years related programming/systems analysis experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
May require any combination or all of the following skills.
- C or C++/ProC or ECPG
- Oracle/PostgreSQL databases/tools
- Basic working knowledge of JAVA
- Basic working knowledge of SOAP, XML, REST API Web services
- Knowledge of TCP/IP, VPN, Firewalls, Managed Internet circuits, Linux platforms, Windows platforms
- Experience maintaining complex database tier applications using Oracle PL/SQL and PostgreSQL pgAdmin helpful
- Experience using tracking applications like Rally, Jira, and Cherwell
- Proficient in Linux commands i.e. gcc, yum, makefiles, and rpm
- Experience with Chef, Hashicorp Vault, and Terraform
- Experience with AWS tools and concepts helpful
- Software development using Git, Bit Bucket, Eclipse IDE
- System performance monitoring, analysis and management using Grafana, Splunk and DataDog helpful
Experience with the following is a strong plus
- Oracle and PostgreSQL databases/tools
- Experience with Agile development
Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
Demonstrated ability to manage software development projects through completion.
Effective interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with end users, conduct demos, and gather feedback.
Work within defined change management processes and protocols to deliver updates and enhancements. Familiarity with ITIL.
- Receives operational guidance on duties, service standards and goals.
- Exhibits personal characteristics and professional standards that serve as a role model for others.
- Familiar with relevant policies, procedures and technical parameters specific to the job. Has basic functional and technical know-how to succeed in job. Learns new functional and technical skills readily.
- Conveys and obtains information both internal and external to the department. Uses written verbal or electronic skills effectively.
- Uses logic and methods to solve technically complex problems. Uses creativity and latitude to analyze and resolve problems.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.