Sr. IT Engineer - QA and Automation
Best Western Hotels & Resorts is a leading, global hospitality network comprised of three hotel companies, including WorldHotels® Collection, Best Western® Hotels & Resorts and SureStay Hotel Group®.
Develops cost effective information technology solutions by analyzing, designing, programming, monitoring, and/or installing systems, software and/or hardware solutions. Increases system efficiency and reliability by handling more complex tasks and/or activities.
Essential Job Results
Develops cost effective information technology solutions by analyzing, designing, programming, monitoring, and/or installing systems, software and/or hardware solutions. Increases system efficiency and reliability by handling more complex tasks and/or activities, encompassing diverse technologies, in one of the following areas: server functions, network communication systems, voice systems, database administration, systems monitoring, or applications development. Delivers reliable high performance applications and technical services.
Duties may be included as follows:
Creates, enhances, evaluates and maintains systems or software applications by performing the full range of more complex programming duties. Designs, codes, debugs, tests, documents and implements programs in approved languages. Develops own methods when creating, modifying and repairing more complex program changes. Researches, designs and develops product hardware and software interfaces by applying hardware engineering and software design theories. Designs, architects, installs, configures and maintains system hardware and software infrastructure components. Develops and implements proactive monitoring of critical business services to ensure availability. Integrates monitoring principles into the IT systems development life cycle project work. Delivers system enhancements by planning and recommending innovative technologies. Develops and implements cost effective approaches and/or automation solutions that lower operating costs and support IT strategy. Meets business needs by translating user requirements into solutions and by monitoring industry trends. Researches, produces and implements standards documents. Outlines and implements all system configuration, tuning and upgrades. Contributes to team effort by participating in IT projects and coordinating with other IT teams. Develops, maintains and communicates troubleshooting and recovery procedures and provides support as needed. May coordinate project team activities and assist in monitoring project schedules and costs. May provide work direction to or mentor less experienced team members. Interfaces with vendors to resolve issues. Maintains technical currency by reviewing trade publications, researching technical documentation and pursuing training relevant to Company operating environments. Maintains working understanding of client business functions. Protects the Company by handling business sensitive information with appropriate confidentiality.
- Minimum 6 years related experience in functional area.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Requires fully competent knowledge of hardware engineering and software design theories.
- May require any combination of the following skills:
- Software development using PeopleSoft and People Tools Toolset.
- Oracle databases/tools.
- System performance monitoring, analysis and management.
- SNMP compliant monitoring tools and concepts.
- SQR for report writing and data analysis.
- C or C++.
- Visual Basic and/or Web application development.
- SOAP, XML, Web services and UDDI.
- Certifications in relevant operating systems, CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) required or must attain with 18 months of employment in this position, CCNP (Cisco Certified Network Professional) certification preferred.
- Nortel, PBX, ACD design and support.
- IVR application design support.
- Nortel BARS (Basic Alternate Route Selection) and NARS (Network Alternate Route Selection).
- Cisco Networks, TCP/IP, VPN, Firewalls, Frame Relay, and VSAT. X.25, Managed Internet circuits, Linux platforms, Windows platforms and UNIX platforms.
- Data warehousing and business intelligence applications experience.
- Extract, Transform and Load (ETL) design, programming and testing.
- Experience designing star schema dimensional data models for Data Marts and/or Data Warehouses.
- Experience developing complex database tier applications using Oracle PL/SQL.
- Experience developing OLAP cubes and production reports using Cognos or similar products.
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Demonstrated ability to manage software development projects through completion.
- Effective interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with end users.
- Advanced technical mastery in area of specialty or broad multi-disciplinary knowledge.
- May provide work direction or mentoring for entry-level staff.
- Receives operational guidance on duties, service standards and goals.
- Exhibits personal characteristics and professional standards that serve as a role model for others.
- May provide guidance and serve as a technical resource to less experienced staff.
- Simplifies complex processes and organizes people and activities to get things done.
- Full functional and technical know-how to meet professional standards and succeed in the job.
- Keeps functional and technical skills current.
- Conveys and obtains information both internal and external to the department.
- Shares new concepts and approaches with others.
- Uses written verbal or electronic skills to communicate effectively with a variety of levels in the organization, including those less familiar with computing terminology.
- Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve technically complex problems.
- Uses a wide degree of creativity and latitude to analyze and resolve problems.
Benefits Summary for Full Time Employees (work 30 + hours per week)
Available Day One:
* Vacation/Sick/Floating Holidays - accruals start
* 401K - company match and direct contribution
* Employee discounts/Hotel discounts
* Financial and health wellness programs
Equal Employment Opportunity
Best Western maintains a policy of equal employment opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard race, color, religion, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, age, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, genetic information, uniformed service or veteran status, marital status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, provincial, or local laws.