Director, Public Relations & Corporate Communications - AZ Based
The Director of Public Relations and Corporate Communications oversees brand reputation, playing a critical role in developing and executing strategies to maintain and enhance the public image and reputation of BWH Hotels and its portfolio of 19 brands.
Reporting directly to the Managing Director of Communications, the primary responsibilities will involve managing the brand's global public relations efforts, securing and monitoring media coverage, and proactively addressing issues that could impact the organization's reputation.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Develop and Execute PR Strategy: Design and implement a global external communications strategy that aligns with the company's objectives and values, ensuring consistency and brand recognition across all regions.
- Media Relations: Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with key media outlets and journalists to secure positive media coverage and feature stories, alongside a global PR agency. Ensure necessary approvals are received for press releases and other external communication documents to ensure a steady pipeline of relevant brand news globally.
- Media Interview Management: Secure and oversee executive interview opportunities with key media targets, anticipating pertinent topics to fully brief and prepare executive and staff interviews in advance. Ensure key brand messages are reflected to maintain consistency with communications efforts.
- Agency Management: Manage relationships with PR agency, ensuring they deliver on their contracted services effectively and efficiently. Oversee agency budgets and performance.
- Integrated Campaign Planning: Partner with Marketing to craft fully integrated global go-to-market strategies and execute corresponding communications plans.
- Crisis Management: Act as a crisis communication leader, developing proactive crisis management plans and strategies to mitigate potential reputation risks.
- Content Creation: Oversee the creation of compelling, high-quality press releases, articles and other PR materials, such as messaging documents, FAQs and press kits. Ensure effective distribution to the media and online platforms.
- Global Coordination: Collaborate with regional PR teams to ensure consistent messaging and campaigns across different markets.
- Executive & Industry Communications: Collaborate with the executive team to craft compelling speeches, presentations and messages that reflect the organization's mission and vision. Attend industry trade shows with executives as needed. Oversee award submissions on behalf of the brand and the executive team.
- Measurement & Impact: Monitor, measure and report on the impact of PR campaigns on the company's brand reputation and take actions to protect and enhance it. Evaluate functional effectiveness tracking performance to Key Performance Indicators and business metrics.
- Budget Management: Manage the PR budget effectively, ensuring a strong return on investment for PR activities.
- Innovative Initiatives: Proactively share industry trends and emerging communication channels with recommended implications for innovative BWH PR initiatives.
- Management: Motivate and develop direct report, providing mentorship and guidance to ensure optimal performance.
- Stakeholder Engagement: Engage with internal and external stakeholders to foster positive relationships and cooperation.
Qualifications & Skills
- 8+ years related professional level experience, including at least 3 years in people management, and five years communications experience. Hospitality experience is preferred, but not required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations, Marketing or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven track record of successful communications campaigns.
- Strong leadership and team management abilities.
- Crisis management and issues resolution experience.
- Financial / budgeting acumen with financial accountability.
- Solutions-oriented with a can-do attitude and strong attention to detail.
- Diplomatic and of the highest integrity.
- Leadership: Ability to self-manage, show strong initiative, prioritize and identify urgent items.
- Knowledge: Strong functional and industry knowledge. Professional know-how to meet best-in-class communications standards.
- Collaboration: Collaborates with cross-functional and regional teams to achieve shared goals and encourage buy-in to key concepts and methods.
- Problem Solving: Resolves generally defined problems using complex concepts. Keen ability to achieve results based on input from varied information sources. Identifies critical needs and directs effort and resources accordingly.
May travel up to 25% of work time.
- This job is AZ based, hybrid work schedule at our HQ location - 6201 North 24th Parkway, Phoenix, AZ 85016.
- No relocation assistance available.
- May travel up to 25% of work time.
This position is based at our Corporate Headquarters in Phoenix, AZ.
Benefits Summary for Full Time Employees (work 30 + hours per week)
Available Day One:
* Vacation/Sick/Floating Holidays - accruals start
* 401K - company match and direct contribution
* Employee discounts/Hotel discounts
* Financial and health wellness programs
Equal Employment Opportunity
BWH Hotels maintains a policy of equal employment opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard race (including hair textures and hair styles associated with race), color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, caste, age, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, height, or weight, pregnancy status, genetic information, uniformed service or veteran status, marital status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, provincial, or local laws. BWH Hotels equal employment opportunity policy applies to all aspects of employment with BWH Hotels, including but not limited to, hiring, promotion, transfer, benefits, discipline, and termination.