Today’s Best Western has been on a journey of incredible transformation, elevating our brand image, improving the guest experience and enhancing our organizational culture. Today, this culture of modernization and innovation is embraced by our more than 1,000 corporate employees, many of whom have stayed with Best Western for 10, 20, even 30+ years. We are proud to have created a work atmosphere that provides an exciting, fun and rewarding place to work every day.
We are hiring an IT Architect responsible for developing cost effective information technology solutions by analyzing, designing, programming, monitoring, and/or installing systems, software and/or hardware solutions. Increases system efficiency and reliability by handling extremely complex tasks and/or activities completing, encompassing multi-discipline and/or diverse technologies, in the following areas: server functions, application development, systems monitoring, and cloud based application architecture and design. Delivers reliable high performance applications and technical services.
Duties may be included as follows.
- Creates, enhances, evaluates and maintains systems or software applications by performing the full range of more complex programming duties. Designs, codes, debugs, tests, documents and implements programs in approved languages.
- Provides a high level of technical expertise in development and support of new or enhanced applications. Performs full life cycle development including, requirements gathering, analysis, design, development, documentation, implementation, testing and debugging.
- Researches, designs and develops product hardware and software interfaces by applying expertise in hardware engineering and software design theories. Designs, architects, installs, configures and maintains system hardware and software infrastructure components.
- Coordinates implementation of proactive monitoring of critical business services to ensure availability. Integrates monitoring principles into the IT systems development life cycle project work.
- Can help break the business roadmap into achievable MVP deliverables which can be delivered successfully using Agile Scrum
- Delivers system enhancements by planning and recommending innovative technologies. Works closely with management to determine longer-term technical needs and direction. Develops and implements cost effective approaches and/or automation solutions that lower operating costs and supports IT strategy.
- Understands the strategy of shifting left and ensures the quality of the deliverable
- Can set up a large scale project from scratch and see it through successful delivery
- Understands delivery success metrics
- Ensures projects are completed according to defined success criteria by leading the team, or providing technical guidance, in the design, development and implementation of projects.
- Promotes technical mastery by serving as a resource for resolving unique or complex problems. Confers with and advises team members on technical problems, priorities and methods.
- Contributes in new vendor evaluation and interfaces with existing vendors to resolve issues
- Maintains technical currency by reviewing trade publications, researching technical documentation and pursuing training relevant to Company operating environments. Maintains working understanding of client business functions.
- Protects the Company by handling business sensitive information with appropriate confidentiality.
- Partners with product owner to translate business objectives into technical designs that can be implemented by Application Engineers
- Ensures technical consistency, compatibility, and integration of multiple products within a portfolio.
- Partners with Application Engineers to ensure technical feasibility of design
- Hands-on experience with containerization platforms and serverless computing, such as Docker, EKS, Lambda
- Knowledge of DevOps methods and CI/CD automation processes
- Sets up CI/CD, automation testing(in partnership with Quality Engineers) and other processes using DevOps principles
- Meets business needs by translating user requirements into solutions and by monitoring industry trends. Researches, produces and implements standards documents. Outlines and implements all system configuration, tuning and upgrades.
- Contributes to team effort by participating in IT projects and coordinating with other IT teams. Develops, maintains and communicates troubleshooting and recovery procedures and provides support as needed. May coordinate project team activities and assist in monitoring project schedules and costs. May provide work direction to or mentor less experienced team members.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Requires AWS Solution Architect Associate certification at a minimum.
Minimum 8 years related experience with 3+ years of direct experience architecting/designing high throughput applications on AWS. Must have experience with resiliency, reliability and high availability engineering.
May require any combination of the following skills.
- RDS Oracle databases/tools, Redshift/DynamoDB/Aurora Postgres a plus
- System performance monitoring, analysis and management (Datadog)
- Compliant monitoring tools and concepts
- Web application development
- Eclipse, Maven, Jenkins, BitBucket
- Modern Programming Languages such as Python
- Java Microservices & APIs
- Web services JSON, XML, HTTP
- Amazon Web Services: Lambda, S3, API Gateway, EventBridge, and other Serverless technology
- Chef, Terraform
- Enterprise Architecture (infra, software, data, middleware)
- Cloud Architecture
- Domain Driven Design
- Agile: Kanban, Scrum
- Experience in building JakartaEE based Web application, Hibernate, JPA. Java Beans
- JSF 2.0, PL/SQL
- Junit, TestNG test framework, Checkstyle, FindBugs, PMD
- Programming experience developing in JEE and SQL and PL/SQL code (highly desired but not essential)
- Demonstrated ability to manage software development projects through completion.
- Effective interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with business partners.
- Proven ability to architect, design and implement cloud-based and/or cloud-native solutions
- Hands-on experience with AWS Elastic
- Beanstalk and basic experience creating RESTful services.
- Working knowledge of Databases, such as Amazon Aurora (PostgreSQL or MySQL), DynamoDB, Redis.
- Leads the design, solutioning, implementation and ongoing maintenance of the technical product. May provide work direction or mentoring for entry-level staff. Receives operational guidance on duties, service standards and goals. Technical expert expected to perform duties with limited directional feedback.
- Exhibits personal characteristics and professional standards that serve as a role model for others. Provides guidance and/or serves as a technical resource to less experienced staff.
- Simplifies complex processes and organizes people and activities to get things done.
- Deep functional and technical know-how to meet professional standards and succeed in the job. Keeps functional and technical skills current.
- Conveys and obtains information both internal and external to the department. Shares new concepts and approaches with others. Uses written verbal or electronic skills to communicate effectively with a variety of levels in the organization, including those less familiar with computing terminology.
- Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve most technically complex problems. Uses a wide degree of creativity and latitude to analyze and resolve problems.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.