Today’s Best Western has been on a journey of incredible transformation, elevating our brand image, improving the guest experience and enhancing our organizational culture. Today, this culture of modernization and innovation is embraced by our more than 1,000 corporate employees, many of whom have stayed with Best Western for 10, 20, even 30+ years. We are proud to have created a work atmosphere that provides an exciting, fun and rewarding place to work every day.
We are hiring a Tax Manager responsible for domestic income taxes and sales and use taxes, including the company’s compliance and provision procedures. The successful candidate will work with internal accounting and business partners, service providers, taxing authorities and other tax professionals to carry out their responsibilities. Position reports directly to the Tax Director.
- Manage income tax compliance. Monitor tax filing calendar. Prepare income tax workpapers. Coordinate with outside advisors and consultants on the filings of quarterly estimates, annual extensions and income tax returns. Make income tax installment payments. Respond to notices as needed
- Manage the income tax provision. Prepare income tax provision workpapers. Coordinate with outside consultants on the quarterly preparation and review of the analysis. Prepare and enter tax provision journal entries.
- Responsible for sales tax compliance. Prepare the monthly and quarterly sales and use tax return workpapers. Work with Vertex Managed Services on filing of US sales and use tax returns. Preparation and filing of Canadian GST, PST, QST, and RST returns. Reconcile sales tax returns. Respond to notices as needed. Coordinate with accounting and IT on any updates needed within Vertex including adding new sales items and sales tax related projects
- Manage income tax and sales and use tax audits. Work with various taxing jurisdictions on income and sales and use tax audits. Provide solutions and resolve issues when dealing with federal, state and local tax entities in collaboration with outside experts as needed. Ensure audit findings are properly documented and reflected in tax returns and systems on a go-forward basis
- Responsible for analysis of all tax general ledger accounts and related reconciliations.
- Responsible for special projects as assigned.
- Minimum 4 years progressive accounting experience.
- Large public accounting firm or large corporate tax department experience is required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Master of Taxation or Business Administration preferred.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Excel, and Vertex
- Sales and use tax experience is required.
- Financial/budgeting acumen.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are essential.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.